Saturday, March 10, 2012

Book Review: ASPHODEL by Lauren Hammond

Asphodel (The Underworld Trilogy, #1)Asphodel by Lauren Hammond

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This was the first book I read by author Lauren Hammond. Having recently read DESTINED by Jessie Harrell, and having a brief glimpse/allusion to this love story, I had high expectations for this one. Overall I enjoyed the retelling and the modernizing twist to bring these characters into the modern world and make them current/relevant.


Hammond deftly wove her story by switching between Persephone as a high school teenager on the run, and Hades, God of the Underworld. There are a few chapters with Demeter as well, Persephone's mother.


At one point I was convinced there was a purposeful allusion to Taming of the Shrew. Perhaps Hammond is going Shakespeare on us? Well done!


I was intrigued by the Greek mythology and the Asphodel, which is a flower with special properties. I also liked how pomegranates were integrated into the plot as well as other Underworld trappings. I liked how Hammond introduced various gods and goddesses, and other famous characters, such as Cerberus and Charon. I found their interactions with both Hades and Persephone well written and believable.


Leaving us with a cliffhanger ending, I'm curious to see how Hammond will continue the story, and whether more characters will be introduced, and whether more will be revealed about the Elysian Fields. I found this to be my favorite part of the whole book.


Lots of great twists and turns to leave the reader wanting more. I was distracted by the grammar, but I know Hammond has already fixed that.


Great read!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment