Sunday, September 1, 2013

Book Review: SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL by Trish Doller

Something Like NormalSomething Like Normal by Trish Doller
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read this book in one sitting and couldn't read it fast enough. LOVE, love, LOVE this book. Trish Doller's narrative style is gorgeous, realistic, and so true to life. The characters leapt off the page and rattled my heart cage until it shattered into a million ZOMGs and holy wows. You should go get this NOW and read it NOW.

I think the thing that gripped me most about this story, and there is a list so bear with me, is voice. Not only is Travis, the male main character (YAY!! We need MORE male MCs in YA literature!!) so realistically written, but it's done in a way that is both magical and gritty, gripping and poetic. I could easily identify with him and his struggle with PTSD.

I know many young men and women who join the military and head off to war, thinking their tour will be uneventful and award them a foundation upon which they can build their lives. My nephew and niece for instance. But the harsh reality, what changes you irrevocably, is what Doller writes with such unflinching truth, it will leave you with FEELS and grasping to catch your breath.

Doller weaves a story between Travis and his brother, his ex-girlfriend and a girl from his past he had a brief encounter with. Travis's friends are also well written and developed and add depth to the story. I couldn't stop myself from turning page after page and racing to the ending, where Travis must face what he's been avoiding through PTSD. I love the relationship between Travis and Harper. She's a great character, strong and confident behind a wall of wounded girlish frailty, that makes her likeable and endearing and sweet. I adore this book, and think Doller is my new favorite YA author. I've committed to reading absolutely everything by her. You should do the same. Highly, highly recommend this book!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment