Saturday, May 19, 2012

Book Review: SLIDE by Jill Hathaway

Slide (Slide, #1)Slide by Jill Hathaway
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was an amazing, quick read. Hathaway deftly blurs the line between YA Contemporary and Paranormal, by rooting the mysterious "power" Vee Bell has with a real-world condition, narcolepsy. The entire story is rife with tension as a young girl is murdered and it is set up as a supposed suicide. Vee knows differently, since her "power" made her a first hand witness. As the story unfolds, the suspects stack up and the reader is left guessing from a long list of possible persons and motives surrounding the death of Sophie.

Hathaway ratchets up the tension throughout and keeps you guessings as you hurtle toward the climactic ending. I loved how she made this personal with an allusion to the mother and wove in and out between the relationship with Vee and her father.

In addition, there's an intriguing love triangle with suspects that include Vee's love interests. I also enjoyed how music played a role with the story.

I can't say enough good things about this book. It's a fantastic and worthy debut by Hathaway. I'm thrilled to know there's more coming from this story, and I can't wait for the next book!! Delicious!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment