Monday, January 9, 2012

Book Review: PERFECT by Natasha Friend

PerfectPerfect by Natasha Friend

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I thought this was a great quick read, and likely a beginning YA book. I'd place it along the edge of MG/YA (Mid Grade/Young Adult). It's at the top of MG, and at the beginning of YA. The issues dealt with are solid and real, ones I found particularly compelling to want to keep reading to find out what happens.

The story centers around Isabelle Lee and her unlikely BFF, Ashley Barnum, the perfect popular girl at school. When both girls end up in a group for girls with particular disorders, Isabelle can't believe little miss perfect is in the same group.

As the story unravels, it becomes clearer how much both girls have in common and how a friendship sparked in group can help both girls find their way on the pathway to healing and wholeness again. Each girl has unique family issues that warrant their acting out, and I found the writing tight and well focused.

It was an enjoyable read for me, and I really enjoyed it. I would recommend this for a 7th or 8th grade class. I'd like to read more books by Natasha Friend, too.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment